The following depression statistics present a look at the scope of depression and how it affects adult men and women.
- Depression is a common emotional disorder affecting about 7% (13-14 million people) in any given year
- Only 20% of those who experience depression will receive an appropriate treatment plan
- 16% of all adults will experience depression
- 97% of those suffering from depression say their work, home life, and relationships are negatively affected
Depression In Women
- Depression is the leading cause of disability in women
- Depression in women usually occurs between the ages of 25 and 44
- 7 million women in the United States are clinically depressed.
- 1 in 5 women will develop clinical depression over the course of her life
- Only 1/3 of depressed women will seek professional help
- About 10% of women will experience postpartum depression after childbirth
- Women are twice as likely as men to develop depression
Depression In Men
- Though women experience depression twice as often as men, men are three times more likely to commit suicide
- Suicide is most common among men who are separated, widowed, or divorced
- Retired and unemployed men have a higher chance of developing depression
How To Overcome Depression
Depression is the world's most common mood disorder, and it is spreading like a viral contagion. You can't catch depression in the same way you catch a cold, but the latest research provides overwhelm...